How To Press Eyeshadow

I've acquired several jars of loose eyeshadows & pigments. While I like them, I rarely use them. Even w/ a primer, there is fall out. I get glitter all over my face & sink. So, they get neglected. I decided to try pressing them. It's a mess but it's super fun & easy. I got my pans from beauty.com - these are smaller @ 18.5mm x 4mm instead of the traditional 26mm pan. You can find the 26mm pans @ Coastal Scents.

For my first shadow, I used Sugar Pill's loose eyeshadow in Hysteric. I wanted to make a smokey purple color so I mixed in NYX's charcoal pearl eyeshadow. My second shadow is Sugar Pill's loose eyeshadow in Junebug. You can't press mineral eyeshadow this way - you need to add a binder. I will post a how to after I've tried it.

You need the following Materials
*Rubbing Alcohol
*A Mixing Tool (I used one for clay)
*A dime (for 18.5 x 4mm pan) or quarter (for 26mm pan)
*Dropper Bottle (for rubbing alcohol)
*A Small Bowl Or Jar (I heard a shot glass works really well)
*A Pan
*Loose Eyeshadow or Pigments
* Clean, lint free cloth (I used a scrap of jeans)
*Small Spoon
*Empty Palette (I used a Z palette)
*Organza Bag (optional)


1. Pour Pigment in bowl. 


2. Mix in a few drops of alcohol in the jar, mixing as you go. You want this to look smooth. Keep adding alcohol until it resembles a wet dough consistency. Yep, it turned green - my first round of pics came out blurry.


3. Spoon mixture into eyeshadow pan. Spread it as evenly as you can. Try not to overfill. Let it set for 30 mins.


It doesn't need to look perfect. 


4. Lay your cloth down gently on top of the pan and let it soak up the alcohol. Once the cloth is saturated, move the pan under another dry patch. Repeat until your cloth stops soaking up alcohol.


5. Lay your coin on top of the cloth and line it up with the pan's edges - it should fit just right. Press down until you see alcohol bleeding around the edges. Move to another dry spot & repeat. Keep pressing until the cloth isn't soaking up anymore alcohol. 


6. Optional - Lay down the organza bag and coin over the pan and press down until the pattern is transferred. I used this method for the purple shadow but not the green ones.


And there you have it - pressed eyeshadow!

5 comments:

Unknown said...
January 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Thank you for sharing!! Def going to try this:)

Xoxo

Unknown said...
January 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Good luck! Let me know how it works out :)

Unknown said...
January 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM

loved this post- both such pretty colours x

The Beauty and Lifestyle Hunter said...
January 21, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Great post, thanks for sharing!

Found your blog via the Monday Beauties Blog hop – Great blog - I’m now a new follower.

Hope you will check out my blog too – and while you are there, don’t forget to enter my INTERNATIONAL GIVEAWAY;
http://beautyandlifestylehunter.blogspot.com.au/

Unknown said...
January 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Thanks for the follow, I'm following back :)

Back to Home Back to Top Souly. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.